Sunday, March 2, 2008

TX Primary Prediction

Obama will win the state.

I base that simply on the types of campaigns the two contenders are running. Hillary Clinton is running a more traditional campaign while Barack Obama is running what the pundits are calling "a bottom up" campaign that is, frankly, more populist and participatory than the Clinton's.

So here's the logic:

In TX so far (and yes! even in my home TX precinct) we have had record voter turn outs. The Republicans are coming out more heavily than they ever have..but even they are being quashed by the Dems by close to 3-1 margin (in my pct , at least)

Now, I believe Dem turnout would have been greater than Rep turnout this year in any event.. but the turn out is staggering.

Based on that fact, I have to give the advantage to the candidate with the greatest populist appeal. Yes, Clinton is running a populist message as well, but Obama is running a populist strategy than runs through the roots of his team and that plays to his strengths (he used to be a community organizer). So, everything being equal, and given the momentum Obama has gained, I have to give it to Obama.

Now to wait til Tuesday to see if I'm right

No comments: